Mark your calendars: October 4, 2022 will bring the release of Marion Nestle’s much-anticipated memoir, Slow Cooked: An Unexpected Life in Food Politics. The book will be a reflection on “her late-in-life career as a world-renowned food politics expert, public health advocate, and founder of the field of food studies following decades of low expectations.” The book’s synopsis:
In this engrossing memoir, Marion Nestle reflects on how she achieved late-in-life success as a leading advocate for healthier and more sustainable diets. Slow Cooked tells the story of how she built an unparalleled career at a time when few women worked in the sciences, and came to recognize and reveal the enormous influence of the food industry on our dietary choices.
By the time Marion obtained her doctorate in molecular biology, she had been married since the age of nineteen, dropped out of college, worked as a lab technician, divorced, and become a stay-at-home mom with two children. That’s when she got started. Slow Cooked charts Marion’s astonishing rise from bench scientist to the pinnacles of academia, how she overcame the barriers and biases women of her generation faced, and how she found her life’s purpose after age fifty. Slow Cooked tells her personal story—one that is deeply relevant to everyone who eats and to anyone who thinks it might be too late to follow a passion.
Dr. Nestle, Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health, Emereta, at New York University, is an author or co-author of numerous books, including Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health (2002), What to Eat (2006), Soda Politics: Taking on Big Soda (2015), and Unsavory Truth: How Food Companies Skew the Science of What We Eat (2018). She also authors a daily blog Food Politics, wherein she discusses contemporary food policy news.
Preorder your copy of “Slow Cooked: An Unexpected Life in Food Politics” now at any of the following:
Food Policy Upcoming Event: Thursday, October 13th at 9:30AM
- Interview with Food Policy Expert Dr. Marion Nestle, Thursday, October 13th at 9:30AM
- Join us for an engaging discussion via Zoom with Dr. Marion Nestle as she reflects on the importance of food policy in our lives, her new memoir, and how she achieved late-in-life success as a leading advocate for healthier and more sustainable diets.
- Register via Zoom HERE.
- Regulating the Food Industry: An Aspirational Agenda (American Journal of Public Health, June 2022)
- Q&A WIth Dr. Marion Nestle Evidence, Politics and the Future of Food (Global Alliance for the Future of Food, December 2021)
- Taking Stock And Looking Forward: Food Access and Nutrition (Civil Eats, December 24, 2021)
- A Day in the Life of Dr. Marion Nestle (News Medical Life Sciences, December 17, 2021)
- What To Eat: The Latest In Food Science (WHYY, September 30, 2021)
- Marion Nestle Knows It’s Not Easy To Be A Smart Consumer Of Food, Or Of Media. The Only Solution May Be To Get Political. (The Counter, September 10, 2020)
- Interview with Marion Nestle, Advocate and Author: Soda Politics (nycfoodpolicy.org, November 24, 2015)