Why They’re Food Heroes: Starting at the very beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, GrowNYC developed new strategies to ensure the health and safety of employees and patrons at Greenmarkets, making sure that the markets still reached as many communities as possible. Furthermore, the organization distributed thousands of free food boxes to families in need, sourcing the food in these boxes locally and ensuring all of it is healthy and fresh.
Background: GrowNYC is one of the largest environmental organizations in New York, and was founded with the initial intention of improving food policy in New York City. The organization expanded to hands-on work with communities in order to improve every community’s access to fresh, healthy foods.
Work: The organization runs Greenmarkets throughout the five boroughs, connecting city dwellers with farm fresh produce, sourced from small farms and food producers in the tri-state area. Furthermore, GrowNYC is a proponent of food and gardening education for NYC children, helping maintain school gardens and providing school tours of farms, Greenmarkets, and more. GrowNYC has partnered with the governments of New York City and New York State to break ground on the New York State Regional Food Hub, located in Hunts Point, the Bronx. This Hub will increase GrowNYC’s capacity to provide locally-grown produce to NYC residents. Promoting environmentally sustainable food economies is incredibly important to GrowNYC, and the organization runs composting and recycling programs to increase the public’s awareness of waste.
Location: Throughout New York City
Website: GrowNYC, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Resources and References:
- GrowNYC Delivers One Millionth Meal To New Yorkers In Need During COVID Pandemic (ABC 7 Eyewitness News)
- GrowNYC, State, City and Elected Officials Break Ground on the New York State Regional Food Hub in the Bronx (Perishable News)
- Healthfirst Gives Members Access to Healthy Foods and Produce Through GrowNYC (PR Newswire)
- NYC to Get New Hub for Locally Grown Food (City Limits)
- Construction Begins On $39 Million New York Regional Food Hub (The Packer)
- Elmhurst Hospital Greenmarket Returns For 10th Year (Queens Ledger)