Part of the Food Policy Community Spotlight Series
Name: Plants on Wheels
What they do: Plants on Wheels is a nonprofit that supports vulnerable and impoverished New Yorkers by distributing clothing and free plant-based meals. Their goal is to provide more access to vegan food and raise awareness of plant-based eating to the less fortunate.
Since July 2023 they have:
- Partnered with more than 30 vegan food donors
- Consistently fed 30 to 50 people a week through the five boroughs
- Hosted their First Annual Vegan Thanksgiving
- Hosted their First Annual Vegan Holiday Party on December 23
- Connected with Maggie from VegOut and amNY, to help bring awareness to the nonprofit’s mission and needs.
- Delivered hundreds of cases of plant-based food to vulnerable communities that might not otherwise have access to healthy food alternatives.
- Fed 1,000+ people with delicious plant-based food.
How they do it: Plants on Wheels uses the support of community partners, volunteers, and donors to meet their goals. They work with a number of dedicated food vendors and donors such as Kitehill, Trader Joes, Impossible, Peta, and more. They also accept vehicle donations and sell merchandise as a way to raise money.
Latest project/campaign: Plants on Wheels’s next big event is their free Valentine’s brunch, which will be held in Washington Square Park on February 10th between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. In addition to providing a vegan brunch, they will also be giving out coats, hats, gloves, and scarves while supplies last.
To RSVP, please see the link here.
Major Funding: to date the organization has been self-funded.
Annual Budget: $50,000
Interesting fact about how it is working to positively affect the food system: Aside from feeding the hungry, Plants on Wheels specifically focuses on educating people about the benefits of plant-based diets so that they can make better food choices.
Location: New York City
Core Programs: Plants on Wheels’s core programs are their mobile pantry, their food and coat drive, and events at their partner restaurant, Neat Burger. They will be celebrating their one year anniversary gala at Neat Burger in June.
Number of staff: 2 part time
Number of volunteers: 22
Areas served: All five boroughs
Year Started: 2023
Founders: Lawrence Katz and Cybill Validum
Contact Information: To contact Plants on Wheels please visit their contact page here.